Monday, May 09, 2005

The Battle of England

Many commentators (apart from the BBC) have noted that the Conservatives won more votes (8,086,306) than Labour (8,028,242 votes) in England, raising doubts about Labour's mandate to govern England. William Rees-Mogg in a superb article in The Times questions England's future relationship with Europe and a possible Scottish Prime Minister. He also states that Labour won 286 seats to the Conservatives 193 seats in England alone. It hardly suggests a strong Labour mandate with which to govern whilst dismissing BBC claims that the Conservatives remain deeply unpopular.

2 comments:

Mike D said...

Yes, I too nodded agreement with Rees-Mogg. Given that I can recall the time when he was just posh and batty, it's all a bit worrying.

After all, his Greatest Hits include 'Collapse of Civilisation as we know it', and that bizarre open-air TV interview with Mick Jagger in the sixties, 'Breaking Butterflies on the Wheel'

Or are you too young to remember?

Snafu said...

I'm afraid I am, I was just a twinkle in my Dad's eye back then!!