Wednesday, January 17, 2007

By-passing UK Passport Control

Who could predict that "At certain times of the day, when a lot of flights come in at the same time, [Passport] control can become extremely busy"?

All passengers still need to be checked by immigration staff before entering the UK, even if this requires long waits as frequently happens in the United States, they should never be waived through.

UK Passport control is a unique customer service, it is for the benefit of UK residents rather than the newly arrived passengers.

Some immigration officers described rare occasions when, due to staff shortages, they had been instructed by chief immigration officers not to hold up any passengers at all.

2 comments:

AF said...

I have first hand experience of immigration control at the airport- a monkey with an organ grinder could do a better job.

I've also personally seen how busy the coffee breaks get there.

Anonymous said...

My last experience of UK passport control when arriving with my wife for Christmas:

Me: hand passports to officer (wife has baby in arms)

Officer, and Asian woman with poor English skills (is she a citizen herself?: What you wife here for?

Me: She's travelling with me.

Officer: What for?

Me: She's my wife.

Officer: Yeah but what she here for?

Me: She's travelling with me.

Officer: Yeah but what her reason, she must have reason for entry.

Me: Her reason is travelling with me.

Officer: Yes, but what reason? Seeing relatives?

Me: Yes, me, I am her relative.

Officer: Ok then.


Fantastic service to the British public.