Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Battle of Alice's eye

If ex-Labour MP Alice Mahon lived in Scotland, she would not need to threaten legal action to force the NHS to provide her with a drug that could help save her failing sight.

Macugen has been available to Scottish patients since August 2006.

Mrs Mahon had been forced to fund her urgent treatment privately, at a cost of £5,325, to avoid losing her eyesight while her case was being considered.

I have been an ardent supporter of the NHS all my life, and now feel totally let down.

The chancellor must ensure the NHS budget is large enough to fund such a basic health care need.

3 comments:

Alfie said...

She just couldn't say 'IT' could she?

"I have supported the English NHS all my life, I feel totally let down by them - I mean aren't my eyes worth the same as someone in Scotland? Do they have nicer scenery there or something?"

"What we want is a government who will look after the people of England, give us support and expensive drugs for serious health conditions"...

That's what you should have said missus...
Welcome to the real world, Blind Alice. A world that you and the nodding claque of Labour rubber-stampers helped to construct. Hope you enjoy the dividend of your obedient folly - and that you feel suitably ashamed of that complicity.

dearieme said...

Shock horror: ex-MPs don't get the same privileged NHS service as MPs still in office. Quel surprise.

Snafu said...

I see the BBC felt it necessary to omit her political affiliation. I mean, it must be a real poke in the eye for her!

Perhaps she should vote Conservative at the next election, Dave seems keen to support the NHS!