Thursday, May 12, 2005

Taxed and spent

High taxes are fine when you get something back in return. However, I fear that by the time I come to make a "withdrawal", whether that is through a state pension or through the NHS, the state will have unilaterally changed it's 'contract' with me. Like all contract changes, it won't be in my favour. I will be expected to pay for my NHS treatments and there will be no pension available. The problem is that the Government operates on a "pay as you go" basis. If they were concerned about an ageing population, and the funding crisis this nation will face in thirty or forty years time, Britain should currently have a budget surplus. In thirty years time, I am sure that any protests that I paid my taxes over the years and therefore deserve free treatment will be met with blank faces and "tough"!!

No comments: