Sunday, July 03, 2005

Venue of the 2012 Olympics

I hope Paris win the 2012 Olympics bid. I could think of no better present to our French cousins than having to spend £5bn, double that for cost overruns, £10bn to host an event that will only last two or three weeks in seven years time. I am sure the British Government can find better things to spend £10bn on that would prove far more durable. How about free ID cards for everyone or some tax cuts!?!

I am sure Tony Blair is keen for Britain to win as it would cement his legacy of ten years in power and the Olympics would be a symbol of British confidence and adventure - just as he described the Millenium Dome in 1998.

Does Britain really want the Olympic legacy of Athens in 2004?

3 comments:

Aiden Truss said...

Couldn't agree more - what a waste of time and money!

We've got a creaking health service and a groaning transport infrastructure, but where do they want to spend the money?

It reminds me of the stories of the old Soviet Union and Communist China - these great spectacles and projects for the greater glory and all the while, people starving out of view.

Mike D said...

What I want to know is how much taxpayers' dosh has been shelled out on this lunacy already? I read somewhere it was £14m, but that would hardly cover the airfares and general junketing.

My guess is £50-100m minimum.

Snafu said...

Paul B

I think it would have been better for the Olympics to "Go North" as London is already well known internationally. As regards the "affluent" South, I welcome monies being invested in South East England rather than Labour heartlands for a change.